The Office of Letters and Sciences (LTSC) is committed to supporting our international students. Academic advisors assist students as they transition to the University and into their best fit major. Through programs and services offered throughout the year, students connect with the campus community and access a variety of academic and professional resources, to help them with acclimation into U.S. higher education and create a sense of belonging.
Continue to explore our website to find out more about the various programs offered. We hope to see you at our upcoming events!
|Hot Cocoa and Cookies Event
|Tie-Dye at UMD's Art and Learning Center
|A Day in D.C.
Helpful Resources for International Students
- Maryland English Institute: MEI provides English language instruction and assessment for speakers of other languages to learn English for academic, professional, and personal reasons
- ESOL Conversation Program: The UMD ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Conversation Program is a student-centered community that specifically aims to bring students and community members from diverse cultures together through authentic language learning/teaching, cultural exchange, social activities, and a passion for minorities.
- International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS): ISSS assists international students with the process of applying to Maryland, advising on immigration requirements, and making the most of the academic experience here.
- Stamp Student Union-Center for Campus Life: The Stamp Student Union provides a safe and inviting campus center where all UM students, alumni, faculty, staff, and community members cultivate lifelong relationships founded on engagement, learning, multiculturalism, and citizenship. It is also where you will find resources and services such as dining, entertainment and student involvement centers.
- Tutoring Resources: Having trouble in one of your classes? Need additional assistance studying for an upcoming exam? Check out all of the FREE tutoring services offered at UMD!
- The Writing Center: The Writing Center provides opportunities for undergraduate students to improve writing and thinking skills in their academic work, and also in preparation for their respective careers.
- University Career Center & the President’s Promise: From an extensive job/internship database and resume workshops to career counseling and FOCUS-2 (major/career assessment), The University Center & The President’s Promise provides a plethora of career development services and resources to help students prepare for today’s competitive job market.
The University Career Center also provides services for international students as well, such as challenges, interviewing tips, job search, employment with an F-1 Visa, and resources with Visa information and more. http://www.careercenter.umd.edu/page.cfm?page_ID=92§ion_ID=1
- University Counseling Center: The UMD Counseling Center offers a variety of services including individual and group counseling/psychotherapy, Majors Walk-ins, time management/study skills workshops, Disability Support Services, and more.
The UMD Counseling Center also offers International Student Support Group as well, which provides a safe and comfortable environment for international students to: a) meet other international students and learn from different cultures; b) talk about issues that are not often discussed in the classroom (e.g., adjustment issues, cultures differences, tips to navigate on and off campus); c) practice English!
If interested, please contact:
All groups meet in the Shoemaker Building
- The Department of Resident Life: On campus housing. Resident Life provides housing services available to resident students; to promote an environment of community development, academic excellence, and respect for individual differences.
- Off-Campus Housing Services: Supports the UM community in making well-informed decisions that enable them to enjoy a positive off-campus living experience.
- Student Organizations at UMD: OrgSync is UMD’s student organization directory. It includes descriptions and contact information for over 800 student organizations.