Exceptions to Academic Policy
Academic policies and deadlines are crafted by the University to ensure integrity and provide equity for all UMCP students. Exceptions to Policy are not appropriate solutions for problems students can avoid by taking personal responsibility. Our office considers granting "Exceptions" to students who have made a diligent effort to work within the requirements but who encounter problems that are clearly beyond their control.
It takes time to arrive at a fair decision, therefore, do not assume your request will be granted. Take whatever actions are necessary in the event your request is denied.
Requests generally take between 3 – 5 business days to process. You will be notified via email when your request has been completed. For all inquiries and questions, or to check on the status of your request, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not contact our office by telephone or in person in regard to Exceptions To Policy.
**Retroactive grading method changes to Spring 2020 courses cannot be approved by the Office of Letters & Sciences nor by the University-at-large. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your circumstance, please email email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org directly.**
TYPE 1 EXCEPTION (Any of the following exceptions requests)
- Register for more than the allowed number of credits (more than 19 credits fall or spring)
- Take courses concurrently at another school during the fall or spring
- Repeat a course by transfer
- Complete Fundamental Studies Academic Writing or Math at another school
To request a Type 1 Exception use the following form:
TYPE 2 EXCEPTION (All other types of exception requests)
- Exceptions are only given in rare and extraordinary circumstances in which a problem is out of the control of a student and not predictable."
- A written explanation detailing the reasons behind the request is mandatory. Take the time before submitting a request to develop a clear, thoughtful, and concise presentation. Explain what the problem is, the origin of the problem, and how you will fix this type of problem in the future.
To request a Type 2 Exception use the following form: